Skin Health: Why does it matter?
The importance of keeping your skin healthy can't be overemphasized. It's the body's first defense against disease and infection, and it protects your internal organs from injuries. It is, in fact, the largest organ in the body. The skin helps regulate body temperature and prevents excess fluid loss, and it also helps your body remove excess water and salt.
How can I keep my skin healthy?
Importance of Moisturization
- Moisturizing your skin is one of the most important things that you can do to safeguard your skin’s barrier function and prevent the onset of premature skin aging. Use a good moisturizer that has a simple list of ingredients. You can test it out on a small part of your skin to make sure that it will not irritate skin tissue.
- The best time to apply a moisturizer is right after a shower or bath. This is the time when your skin is at its most hydrated. Lock in all of this good moisture by applying a good moisturizer at this time. This should keep your skin hydrated throughout the rest of your day.
- Your skin provides a good indication of what is going on with your overall health. One way to maintain your skin health is to ensure that you are eating plenty of healthy food like fresh fruits and vegetables. This type of food is rich in nutrients and antioxidants that can safeguard your skin against damage from UV radiation and environmental pollution.
- If you have recently noticed a change in the size, shape, color, or sensation of a mole, you need to let us know. Although it is not always a health concern, these types of changes could indicate the presence of skin cancer, a serious skin disease.
- The good news is that skin cancer is extremely treatable and curable when detected early. If you wait until it has had time to develop, it could spread to internal organs and become very serious at that point.
- It is always a good idea to regularly check your skin for any changes in its appearance or sensation. A good time to do so is before you enter or exit your bath or shower. Take a few moments to examine your skin at that time so that if there are any sudden changes in it, you will notice right away.
Benefit of keeping a healthy skin
- Dry skin is one of the most common skin issues for many men and women. In most cases, poor diet is the main cause that contributes to this issue. Following a healthy diet includes eating sufficient amounts of healthy fats, which work to preserve the moisture and suppleness of your skin. This will ensure your skin stays moisturized naturally from the inside out.
- Healthy fats are beneficial for your entire body, as they allow the body to absorb other nutrients and use them correctly. Foods such as wild fish, avocados, seeds, nuts, and olive oil are some amazing sources of healthy fats.
- There have been a number of studies that show there is a direct link between wrinkles (and fine lines) and our diet. A healthy diet can prevent the formation of wrinkles, which can make us look significantly older. Eating the right foods can optimize the production of collagen, a compound crucial for the elasticity of the skin and the health of skin cells. One way you can stabilize the production of collagen in the body is by cutting down on the amount of sugar you eat.
- A healthy diet can help people prevent and eliminate acne. This is a very common skin disorder that can impact people’s confidence and ultimately lead to other health issues. A healthy diet requires a radical reduction in the consumption of sugar. Sugar is highly addictive, so to satisfy sugar cravings, you can try eating low glycemic foods like berries. To prevent acne, you should also consider lowering your intake of starchy foods such as bread and pasta. These foods can increase blood sugar levels, supporting inflammation and acne.
- Try to consume more healthy fats, lean protein, and leafy green vegetables, but avoid sugar and processed foods to fight against acne.
Beauty to your lips
- During winter, many people experience dry lips due to the cold, dry air. However, if you are experiencing this problem all year round, it’s likely you lack B vitamins and zinc. Following a healthy diet on a regular basis will help bring back these nutrients to the system. Some good examples of foods that contain B vitamins and zinc are organic yogurt, fish, nuts, seeds, and cacao which can be excellent for plump lips!
Makes your skin radiant
- A poor diet can cause the skin to appear dull and lifeless as the body is not receiving all of the nutrients it needs. The simplest way to solve this problem is to consume healthy, natural foods. Start slowly by gradually replacing processed foods with natural foods. It won’t take long for your skin to start looking radiant and fresh, helping you glow.
Keeps the area around your eyes protected
- Puffy eyes and dark under-eye circles are common problems that many of us experience. Diet plays an important role in their formation. Eating foods that are low in sugar and with a low glycemic index can help to nourish and protect the skin around your eyes.
What is a good skincare routine?
With an abundance of serums, cleansers, exfoliants, creams, and more, it can be tough to find a good skincare routine that matches your concerns and skin type. Here are a few essentials included in a good skincare routine.
Step 1: Cleanser
- In the morning and before bed, make sure you are washing your skin with a gentle cleanser. Cleansers are excellent for removing dead skin, pollutants, oil, dirt, and bacteria. Avoid cleansers that have sulfates, which can be stripped. If you have sensitive skin, choose a fragrance-free cleanser.
Step 2: Eye Cream
- It is vital you apply an eye cream at least once a day to help the youthfulness of your facial skin. Maintain the health, thickness, and appearance of the skin on and around your eyelids. By using an eye cream early on in your skincare journey, you can ensure your eyelids won’t lose laxity or smoothness.
Step 3: Spot Treatment
- If your dermatologist prescribed you any acne creams, you should apply them after your skin is cleansed and dry. Apply your retinol or spot treatment to reduce fine lines, pore size, reduce oil, unclog pores, and eliminate blemishes.
Step 4: Moisturizer
- When you use retinol and spot treatments, your skin can be increasingly dry and irritated. Moisturizers aren’t only for dry skin. You can use a moisturizer to add more hydration to your skin, but there are also oil-free moisturizers that are great for oily, acne skin.
- HANDMADE HEROES Beauty Warrior Face Mask - Australian Pink Clay 60g
- HANDMADE HEROES The Ultimate Bakuchiol Booster Oil
- CODEX BEAUTY Bia Gentle Cleansing Oil 100ml
- THE ORDINARY Lactic Acid 5% + HA 30ml
- SHEA TERRA ORGANICS African Black Soap (Menthe)
- ALKEMIE Age Reverse and Glow up Set
- HELIOCARE 360 Gel Oil Free 50ml
- PAUL PENDERS Magic Mineral 3G
- PATCHOLOGY Flashmasque Trio (1-Hydrate, 1-Illuminate & 1-Soothing) 28ml
- OBLEPHIKA C-BERRICA Antioxidant Face Serum 30ml