So, what do actually our hair, skin, and nails do?
Skin: our largest organ, has many jobs. It:
- protects the network of muscles, bones, nerves, blood vessels, and everything else inside our bodies
- forms a barrier that prevents harmful substances and germs from entering the body
- protects body tissues against injury
- helps control body temperature through sweating when we're hot and by helping keep heat in the body when we're cold
- Without the nerve cells in the skin, people couldn't feel warmth, cold, or other sensations.
- Every square inch of skin contains thousands of cells and hundreds of sweat glands, oil glands, nerve endings, and blood vessels.
- The hair on our heads doesn't just look nice. It keeps us warm by preserving heat.
- Hair in the nose, ears, and around the eyes protects these sensitive areas from dust and other small particles.
- Eyebrows and eyelashes protect the eyes by decreasing the amount of light and particles that go into them.
- The fine hair that covers the body provides warmth and protects the skin.
- Nails protect the sensitive tips of fingers and toes.
- We don't need our nails to survive, but they do support the tips of our fingers and toes, protect them from injury, and help us pick up small objects.
- Without them, we'd have a hard time scratching an itch or untying a knot.
- Nails can be an indicator of a person's general health, and illness often affects their growth.
There's no magic food that will keep us looking forever young, but diet/ lifestyle/ attitude do affect how your skin looks and ages. You might want to overview your diet by the guiding of the below steps:
- Protein- the building blocks
Hair, skin and nails can also suffer if you are lacking in iron. Skin may be very pale, become itchy, or there could be cracking at the side of the mouth. Nails cna become brittle and develop vertical stripes, or even become spoon-shaped. You could shed more hair and it will be noticeably more dry, brittle and dull.
- Muesli- whole grain
Muesli and oats will boost your intake of essential fats, B vitamins, and the potent antioxidants, vitamin E. B vitamins could easily be called the 'skin vitamins' because a deficiency often shows up as itchy, dry skin
- Kiwifruit and citrus- Vitamin C
Biotin is part of the vitamin B complex and is necessary for the metabolism of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. A deficiency in biotin can cause brittle hair, skin rashes, and hair loss.
Collagen is the main structural protein found in skin and other connective tissues. This is what helps give our skin its elasticity and strength. As we get older the production of collagen slows down, which results in wrinkles, saggy skin, and joint pain.
MSM is an organic sulfur compound from lignin that is used to restore healthy tissues within our bodies. In the case of hair, skin, and nails MSM is believed to reduce inflammation and help with skin discoloration, skin allergies, wrinkle prevention, scar formation, dark spots, sun damage, and wound healing. MSM can improve skin’s tone, reduce redness and ease sensitivity
Other than controlling/implement a balanced diet, there are also some products you may use for your hair, skin, and nails:
- Black Castor Oil: Castor oil, also known as Ricinus communis, is a nutrient-rich vegetable oil that comes from castor beans. 90% of castor oil is made up of the fatty acid ricinoleic acid which can lead to blood vessel dilation. When applied to the scalp, increased blood vessel dilation increases the flow of oxygen-rich and nutrient-rich blood to the powerhouse of your follicle, the dermal papilla, or the root of the hair.
- Cuticle oil: Cuticle oil is a moisturizing product for your nails and cuticles. It’s most commonly made up of vegetable oils and sometimes contains vitamins and citric acid. Applying cuticle oil can increase the circulation around your nails, stimulating nail growth. It can also help to protect your nail and cuticle against trauma.
- Moisturizing lotion/ cream: Shea Nilotik' Shea Butter Lotion envelopes skin with a soothing, silky cocoon as they contain 20% virgin, cold-pressed, and non-deodorized Ugandan shea butter. Skin is protected from dehydration and chapping all day long.
These are the vitamin and supplements that for healthy hair, skin and nails:
- BIO-LIFE REVITIZ 30S
- AISHITOTO COLLAGEN
- ORA ORGANIC BE-YOU-TIFUL BEAUTY VITAMINS FOR HAIR AND SKIN 60S