Shopping local is more than a catchy business tag line or a decal in the window. Supporting local businesses means caring about the community you choose to call home. Everyone has fallen in love with their hometown for one reason or another; whether it’s because you grew up here or because of the quaint, small-town atmosphere, you have made the conscious decision to invest in your community by choosing to live here. So why stop there?
Advantage of buying local?
- When you purchase from a locally owned business, you stimulate the local economy. The money you spent locally is more likely to be kept within the community and contributes to the local tax base.
- Your environmental impact is reduced. Most small businesses set up shop in the village centre, providing a centralized location for your shopping needs. This generally means contributing to less sprawl, congestion, habitat loss and pollution.
- While we are on the topic of pollution, shopping locally helps you save gas! If you choose to look for goods locally, you will require less trips to the big city and save yourself some time, money, and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Supporting a local business means more local jobs. Small businesses are the largest employers on a national scale. Plus, the more jobs you have available within your community, the less people are required to commute which again saves on gas money and pollution.
- Spending your money locally leaves room for those same businesses to reinvest their earnings back into the community through local events, charities, and sports teams.
Why people don’t choose local products?
Here are some reasons why people don't choose local products:
- Buying local is inconvenient
- Buying local costs more.
- Buying local means less variety.
- Buying local might not be authentic.
How to create interest towards local purchase?
- Keep Consistency in Voice and Image
- Use All Aspects of Social Media
- Enhance Customer Satisfaction
- Improve Quality of Local products
- Don’t Shy Away from Freebies
- Create Powerful Referral Programs